Skip to content

Disabled Facilities Grant

If you (or someone living with you) are disabled, you may qualify for a disabled facilities grant. These grants are available to help make the homes of disabled people more suitable for them to live in, and to help them manage more independently.
disabled facilities grant

Who can apply?

If you own your own home, or if you rent it from a private landlord or housing association, you can apply for a disabled facilities grant. Private landlords can also apply on behalf of their tenants. Anyone who does apply will have to sign a certificate confirming that for the next five years (the grant condition period), the disabled person will continue to live in that same property. In other words we need to know that, for the foreseeable future, the property to be adapted will be the disabled person’s only or main home.

Who qualifies for a grant?

Anyone with a disability who lives or is moving into the district can apply for a disabled facilities grant. The parents or guardian of a disabled person can also apply on their behalf. However, to make sure that help goes to the people in greatest need, the amount of grant you receive is decided after your own financial resources have been taken into account. This test of financial resources is the way we work out how much, if anything, you should pay towards the proposed adaptations.

What type of work is covered?

A disabled facilities grant can be used for any work which:

Makes it easier for you to get in and out of your home.

Makes access to your living room, bedroom, kitchen or bathroom easier.

Provides suitable bathroom, sleeping and kitchen facilities that meet your needs.

Adapts heating and lighting controls for ease of use.

Provides you with adequate heating.

Helps you care for a disabled person living with you.

Makes your home safer.

How to apply.

Lightbulb can assist you through the process of applying for grant assistance. To apply for a grant you need to be assessed by an occupational therapist to confirm that the adaptations are necessary.

Contact Adult Social Care or First Response Children’s Duty Team for a care and support assessment to provide you with advice and an eligibility assessment in your own home. If you’re eligible you’ll be referred to your local district or borough council. You or the property owner can apply for the grant as long as you intend to live in the property for 5 years (the ‘grant period’).

To find out more about disabled facilities grants, visit’s disabled facilities grants page.

How much grant is available?

The amount of grant you get is decided on an individual basis. You will receive the difference between the total cost of the adaptations the grant covers and the contribution (if any) that you will be making.

The maximum grant available is £30,000.

Skip to content